Saturday, September 15, 2012

The Found Photos of Charles W. Cushman



So I was at work yesterday listening to NPR when I heard a really cool story that I thought I should share. A few years ago an art history professor at IU was cleaning out his office and came across a box of old color photographs that dated back to the 1930's. It turned out that the photographs belonged to a color photography enthusiast named Charles W. Cushman. While he was not a professional photographer, he adopted Kodak's Kodachrome film decades before it became popular. The discovery of those few photographs led historians to find his archive of roughly 14,000 color photos from a time that is usually only seen in black and white. If you have a chance, check out the links to the story. The first link you can listen to it or read the transcript. The second link is a really awesome interactive slideshow about his life and photos.


http://www.npr.org/2012/09/14/161090059/the-found-archive-of-charles-cushman

http://www.npr.org/news/specials/2012/cushman/

1 comment:

  1. Im glad you posted this, my father was just telling me about this, but he could not remember the guys name.

    ReplyDelete