Sunday, September 16, 2012

Maria Anna Rosa Knittel



Maria Anna Rosa Knitel


As I mentioned in an early post, I did a little exploration on my families history in relation to the world of Art History.  I have know that my great great great grandmother was a famous painter and photographer in Innsbruck, Austria, but this was my first formal exploration of her past. Maria Anna Rosa Knittel (1841-1915) was brought up with a father who was also a photographer;  he began his career developing photos in their bathroom.  His daughter Maria grew up as an assistant, she learned all of his techniques and eventually helped open a sovereign shop/portrait studio.  Maria enjoyed portraiture and floral paintings even more then she enjoyed photography.  She began mixing the two mediums (as seen in the photos above; sorry for the poor quality) and became well known for this technique. As we have been studying this past week, she also photographed lots of children (although clothed).  Hope everyone enjoys these photos, and indulges in some exploration of their own families history of photography!

No comments:

Post a Comment