Saturday, September 8, 2012

Charles Lutwidge Dodgson

...also known as Lewis Carroll, writer of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. He worked with photography from 1856 to 1880, starting his own studio and producing around 3,000 images. However, today, only around 1/3 of those images still exist - most of which are images of young children. I found this website of particularly eerie and almost creepy images from his body of work. The girl's smile in the first image almost made me shiver. All of these images give off a sort of lonely or isolated feel, and there's just something strange about them.

image

1 comment:

  1. I can not imagine the troubles he must of gone through to get those children to sit still for so long. Some of them are a little erie, but intriguing. I found myself wondering if any of these girls were inspiration for Alice in Wonderland!

    ReplyDelete