Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Motion Photography


For my blog post, I was wanting to learn more about Eadweard Muybridge's motion photography that we briefly covered in class. I found this link to his website which shows quite a lot of his freeze-frame type photography. The photo I included above is from his Human Figure in Motion collection. In this collection, he photographed men, women, and children running, jumping, or carrying out any type of athletic activity. He began photographing figures in motion when he was hired by a railroad baron named Leland Stanford in 1872 to use photography to prove that there was a moment in a horse's gallop when all four hooves were off the ground at once.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I wrote down to do so, but I hadn't gotten to it. The figure in motion images with the nude models were interesting to me because all the backgrounds but one had a grid or some form of lines. What is up with the racial observations? I feel this has come up in several of my classes lately. This made me think of the correlation to the slave daguerreotypes conflict. I do appreciate the fact this article documented the name of the one mix-racial model: "Muybridge only used one non-white model - Ben Bailey - a mixed race male." Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you took the time to do a more in-depth exploration of Muybridge. I especially enjoyed the photo posted above. With cameras that now have a much fast FPS it is easy to under appreciate this process. I also enjoyed the "Human Figures in Motion" in motion series; it was simple but beautiful! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete