Saturday, September 8, 2012

I have the most precious story to share.

This evening I joined my grandmother and some friends for a game of cards. My intention was to look at some old photographs of my great great great grandmother and family, of which I will share at a later date, and I ended up stumbling upon a story just as sentimental. 

I began with explaining to the ladies what we have been learning in our photo history class. One of ladies, Phillis, lit up and proceeded to tell me a story about an old photo album she stumbled upon.  A year or so ago she took a trip to a town south of Dublin and stumbled upon a small antique shop.  In the shop she found an old family photo album dated 1849.  She was broken hearted that something so sentimental and historic was discarded in such a way, that after some debate she decided to purchase the photo album.  After doing some research on the album she found out that it belonged to the Lord of Howth of the St. Lawrence family.  They still reside in the Howth Castle (one of the few still occupied).  She contacted the family, and found out that it was lost during the war. They offered her over $10,000 for the album! She wouldn't except the money, it belonged with the family. It now resides in their museum. WOW! Talk about appreciation for family and photography. I did not get to view any of the photographs, but I can only image how stunning they would have been.  This class has given much more of an appreciation for the photographs taken during this time period.

Did Some research of my own, couldn't find any photographs of the family but here is one of the castle.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could have been sitting down at the table when this woman was telling her story! Thanks for sharing, I loved reading this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Bri said. Great story, Alyssa! And good sleuthin' finding a photo of the castle!

    ReplyDelete