Saturday, September 8, 2012

John C.H. Grabill

I found John C.H. Grabill by searching for photographs of 19th century horse and discovered him.  This is a link I found about him.
                                The picture is of a famous war horse named Comanche.
Here is another website showing photographs that John C.H. Grabill took during the 19th century.  I like his photographs because they seem real, not staged.  The pictures are raw and maybe not the best of quality, from what I can see, but they show what happened at the time and what life looked like.  From viewing his photographs I see that he has an interest in landscapes.  A good number of his photographs are of landscapes and architecture.  To me, his photographs are the essence of 19th century photography.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Marlee, great find! I'd not heard of Grabill before. But I have heard of Comanche...in fact, I've seen him. His body is preserved at the University of Kansas, where I went to grad school. See here:
    http://naturalhistory.ku.edu/explore-topic/comanche-preservation/comanche-preservation

    ReplyDelete